[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdate changes local linux pc clock only from command line

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Sat Nov 19 20:38:11 UTC 2005

>During startup the ntpd service starts OK, however when automatic log
>in to gnome 24 is completed, the time clock is not updated (e.g. 12:05,
>01-Jan-97)

ntpd probably exited with some error condition.  Have you looked
for an error message in your log files?  (probably /var/log/messages)

As somebody else suggested, your clock is probably too far off.
Is your battery dead?  Can you set the clock from your BIOS?

>I run gnome terminal and as root run the command
>
>.../ntpdate uk.pool.ntp.org
>
>A few seconds or so later, the local pc clock is successfully updated.

That confirms that ntpd is no longer running.  ntpdate and ntpd
use the same port number to make sure that they don't both
run at the same time and inject confusion into the system.