[ntp:questions] ntp authentication setup

Dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Sun Nov 20 05:02:37 UTC 2005

Hello,
    I'm having an issue with authentication setup and would appreciate it if
anyone had a tutorial on this issue. I thought i had it when i updated, but
i just did an ntp install on windows xp, started the service without
thinking and it updated the clock. This box did not have any keys set up.
Obviously i'm doing something wrong. I'm also wondering the status of
ntpdate is it still recommended to use it? When my boxes start they sync up
with the local time server on my network, i'm wondering if using ntpdate or
the iburst option on the server line in ntp.conf which is the prefered
approach?
Thanks.
Dave.