[ntp:questions] Re: Leap second talks are postponed

Tim tim at mail.localhost.invalid
Sun Nov 20 11:33:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:24:08 +0000, Marc Brett sent:

> Tidal friction is causing the Earth's rotation to slow down. This means that
> everyday timekeeping, based on the rotation of the Earth (solar time), tends to
> drift out of sync with respect to the time kept by atomic clocks.
>
> More time
>
> For this reason, the standard for everyday timekeeping, known as Coordinated
> Universal Time, or UTC, must be adjusted every so often.
>
> This takes the form of individual seconds being added or subtracted from the
> length of a day, either a 30 June or a 31 December. The first leap second in
> seven years will be added at the end of 2005.
>
> In this way, clock time is kept in step with solar time, which is used to
> precisely point telescopes and to find satellites.

Hasn't it always been the way that we adjust our clocks to reflect what
the time really is?  (Noon with the sun overhead.)

Adjusting time to suit someone's clock just seems silly to me, never mind
troublesome.  At some stage we'd end up with 8am (clock time) being in the
middle of the evening (real time), if they kept up that philosophy.

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please destroy some files yourself.