[ntp:questions] ntp authentication setup

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Nov 20 19:19:07 UTC 2005

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'm having an issue with authentication setup and would appreciate it if
> anyone had a tutorial on this issue. I thought i had it when i updated, but
> i just did an ntp install on windows xp, started the service without
> thinking and it updated the clock. This box did not have any keys set up.
> Obviously i'm doing something wrong. I'm also wondering the status of
> ntpdate is it still recommended to use it? When my boxes start they sync up
> with the local time server on my network, i'm wondering if using ntpdate or
> the iburst option on the server line in ntp.conf which is the prefered
> approach?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

ntpdate makes no sense on a Windows box. You should use the -g during
startup and iburst on the server lines. Authentication needs to be set
up and is never automatic. You need to generate the keys on the server
and copy them over to the Windows client. Did you look at:
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringAutokey
to see how to set up authentication?

Danny