[ntp:questions] Re: Leap second talks are postponed

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Nov 21 15:13:48 UTC 2005

David,

You are gloriously misinformed. The NTP daemon does not do leap seconds;
the kernel does. NTP is not good or bad, just the messenger. However,
the model now used in FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux and Tru64 is derived from
my code as described on the NTP project page. You get to smear me in the
media based on that model, not NTP. There is no step change in that
model, just stopping the clock for the leap second, but allowing forward
progress to conform to the correctness assertions.

Dave