[ntp:questions] Re: sntp output for bootstrapping system time

Christopher Nelson cnelson at nycap.rr.com
Tue Nov 22 12:09:38 UTC 2005

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Please avoid using ntpdate.  It's being deprecated in favor of sntp.
>
> Are you using the sntp code from a recent ntp-dev snapshot?
>
> If you are having a problem with the latest sntp code, please file a bug
> report; near as we can tell the code in the ntp-dev snapshots has been
> working for a while.

I'm new enough to NTP that I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm having a
problem in that it's not doing what I need but it may be behaving as
expected and designed and I just haven't figured out how to use it yet.

I have ntp-4.2.0 which I cross-built on Intel Linux for PPC using gcc
version 2.95.3 20010315 (release).   What I see is:

   ~ # date
   Fri Dec 31 19:20:10 EST 1999
   ~ # sntp -r 10.128.0.1
   The time correction is 185922449.254 +/- 0.054+0.003 seconds
   Do you want to correct the time anyway? y
   ~ # date
   Fri Dec 31 19:20:19 EST 1999
   ~ #

Am I doing something wrong?