[ntp:questions] Re: sntp output for bootstrapping system time

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 22 14:40:39 UTC 2005

Christopher Nelson wrote:

>Harlan Stenn wrote:
>

>>Please avoid using ntpdate.  It's being deprecated in favor of sntp.
>>
>>Are you using the sntp code from a recent ntp-dev snapshot?
>>
>>If you are having a problem with the latest sntp code, please file a bug
>>report; near as we can tell the code in the ntp-dev snapshots has been
>>working for a while.
>>

>I'm new enough to NTP that I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm having a
>problem in that it's not doing what I need but it may be behaving as
>expected and designed and I just haven't figured out how to use it yet.
>
>I have ntp-4.2.0 which I cross-built on Intel Linux for PPC using gcc
>version 2.95.3 20010315 (release).   What I see is:
>
>   ~ # date
>   Fri Dec 31 19:20:10 EST 1999
>   ~ # sntp -r 10.128.0.1
>   The time correction is 185922449.254 +/- 0.054+0.003 seconds
>   Do you want to correct the time anyway? y
>   ~ # date
>   Fri Dec 31 19:20:19 EST 1999
>   ~ #
>
>Am I doing something wrong?

A reading of the SNTP documentation  (in the .html directory) seems to
suggest that the maximum allowable offset is 60 seconds.  The fact that
it asks you for permission to make the change and then ignores your
reply suggests that there is a bug in the version you are using.

Why is your clock set to "Fri Dec 31 19:20:19 EST 1999"?   Deprecated or
not, ntpdate could hardly do worse than that!!!!!