[ntp:questions] Garmin GPS 18 firmware update -> 200ms offset

Roman Mäder newsXXF.10.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com
Thu Nov 24 13:08:51 UTC 2005

I have been using a GARMIN GPS 18 LVC as my primary time source for several
months and it has always been within a few ms of the external servers I
configured for comparison (ntpq 4.2.0, Solaris 8). Yesterday i updated its
firmware from 2.40 to 2.80 and now suddenly the offset is around -190ms,
in fact it is so bad that the clock is flagged as a falseticker.

The configuration is
server 127.127.20.0 mode 2 prefer

Does anybody have a clue what could cause this sudden offset? I did reload
the old device configuration after the update. Anything that changed beyond
what the list of changes
(http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=529)?

Roman Maeder