[ntp:questions] Re: Refids

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Nov 27 15:58:50 UTC 2005

Danny,

I've said very many times the reference ID is solely and exclusively
intended to detect timing loops. A server can itself be synchronized to
only one source and that source is revealed in the reference ID. There
is no need nor no intent to interpret that field for any other purpose.
The same reference ID goes out to all clients, regardless of the number
of interfaces. A client of this server doesn't know whether this is an
IPv4 or IPv6 address. The well-spoken client can check whether the field
coincides with (any of) its IPv4 addresses or hashes to (any of) its
IPv6 addresses, birthdays notwithstanding. There is no need to change
any aspect of the reference ID as specified in rfc2030 and now implemented.

Dave