[ntp:questions] Re: win32 undisciplined local clock sync time

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Nov 28 09:12:41 UTC 2005

TJ Horlacher wrote:
> "Skunk Worx" <skunkworx at verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:d9cff.18234$rO4.9489 at trnddc05...
>
>>I am new to NTP. I have a windows server and linux clients.
>>
>>My server is win2003 setup with meinberg's
>>ntp-4.2.0b at 20051016-1.1417-o-win32-setup.exe
>>
>>I've setup the ntp.conf on the server with :
>>
>>driftfile "C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.drift"
>>server 127.127.1.0 prefer
>>fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 8 refid NIST
>>disable auth
>>
>>per the document at :
>>
>>http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver1.html
>>
>>Also I have verified that the "-g" option is in the win32 service startup.
>>
>>Here are my questions:
>>
>>1) The service on the win2003 box takes 2-3 minutes to drop from stratum
>>16 to stratum 9. The linux boxes won't sync to stratum 16, so I have to
>>wait several minutes between booting the server and the clients. Is there
>>a way to make the win32 box sync faster?
>

> Try using iburst option... It will then sync quickly.
> server mytimeserver.com iburst

iburst didn't make any difference on the server. It's still 3-5 minutes
to sync up to the local hardware oscillator.

For now I am hacking past this with a bash script on the clients. It
uses ntpq and grabs the "clock=" value, then massages it into a "date"
command to set the local date/time.

In the longer term, I found that the trak systems timeclocks in the labs
have a NTP server plugin card available. We are investigating this now.

Our data stream is timestamped externally, no code is supposed to use
client time for anything related to data, so the client system time is
not very  critical--only used for things like file timestamps, startup
tests, remote logging, etc.

Thanks,
John