[ntp:questions] sntp hangs if network not available

Christopher Nelson cnelson at nycap.rr.com
Wed Nov 30 20:16:37 UTC 2005

I built sntp from 4.2.0b development source and it works when
everything is fine but seems to hang if it can't contact a server.  I'm
trying to use sntp to initialize the system time in an embedded system
which doesn't have a battery-backed RTC.  What I want to do is have
sntp run as soon as the network might be up and either set the time or
give up in a half a second or so and leave the time back in 1999.

- Should sntp timeout fairly quickly?  Am I using it wrong or is it
buggy?

- Where in the Linux startup sequence is ntp/sntp usually run?

TIA.

                                           Chris