[ntp:questions] Re: time

Eric ejensen at spamcop.net
Wed Nov 30 21:09:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:42:19 -0600, "K" <spam at nospam.com> wrote for
the entire planet to see:

>Hi,
>
>So to summarize you guys.  I think that you are saying that
>ntpd v3 is accurate on a gigabit network that is congested  to 5-20ms  is
>the accuracy is a reasonable expectation. What about IEEE 1588, since this
>is also ethernet bases can I get any better time accuracy with that?

That's not what I read, or have seen.  NTP syncing to a locally
attached GPS clock gets within 1-20uS.

NTP syncing on a fast lan to that first server should get within
10-100uS.  Even congested 100mb segments should get <1ms I think.

NTP syncing to servers beyond your lan, beyond your building, routed,
etc. could get 10-20mS.

- Eric