[ntp:questions] Re: NTP for dummies

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Sat Oct 1 09:07:01 UTC 2005

Ephraim F. Moya wrote:
[]
> My problem is even simpler. I want my computer to periodically read a
> time standard someplace and set the pc/xp hardware clock
> appropriately. I haven't been able to find out whether ntp sets the
> local clock or replaces it. I know how to set the cmos clock manually.
> Does ntp know how?

If you really must set the hardware clock, it's possible that the built-in
W32time Windows SNTP client would do the job.  See "net time /?" for
details.

NTP does control the local clock, both by setting it for large time steps,
and by altering its rate for finer adjustments.  On Windows, NTP sets the
CMOS clock when the NTP service is stopped.  I would recommend NTP over
the Microsoft W32time service as it provides better timekeeping and can
get the best time estimate from a number of servers.

[Suggestion or question: does (and should) NTP set the system clock when
it steps the time rather than altering the rate?  Perhaps it already does
this - I haven't looked at the source.]

David