[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Multicast server/client?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 09:31:41 UTC 2005

In article <433E0D98.6070004 at gis.net>, mayer at gis.net (Danny Mayer) wrote:

> Wilhelm Greiner wrote:
> >
> > Also i see when ntpd with debugging runs that it transmits any packets
> > to find out is the way back reachable.
> >

> I don't understand what you mean here. Can you explain?
>
> > Can i turn off this initial trials??
> >
> I also don't understand this question.

When a broadcast client is starting it makes a normal access to the
server to calibrate the round trip delay and therefore estimate the
downstream delay.  It will fall back to the configured delay if this
fails.

Also, I believe that if you enable authentication, and that is strongly
encouraged for broadcast, this exchange is mandatory to negotiate keys.
(I vaguely remember that authentication is defaulted on for broadcast.)

I believe this is what the person wants disables, although he hasn't
explained why.