[ntp:questions] Can NTP get permanently confused?

olssons at gmail.com olssons at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 19:31:13 UTC 2005

I have found that if I set the clock by 2 seconds on my NTP server that
the NTP clients seem to get confused.  First they notice the time jump
and unsynchronize with the time server.  About 10-20minutes later, they
resynchronize with the NTP server and all appears well, but if I then
go and verify the actual time on the NTP server and clients, the
clients are still showing 2 seconds ahead of the NTP server.

ntpq -p shows a 0 or near 0 (.9 milliseconds) offset between the
clients and the NTP server during this time.

The clients never recover unless I stop NTP, do an ntpdate, and restart
NTP.  Is this normal behavior?

FYI, clients are both Tru64 and SunOS versions of xntpd.

Network Time Server - Symmetricom/TrueTime NTS-100 NTP Server
System OS - Tru64 UNIX 4.0F , SUNOS 5.6
NTP Version - xntpd 3-5.93e