[ntp:questions] Re: Can NTP get permanently confused?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 2 00:28:56 UTC 2005

olssons at gmail.com wrote:

>I have found that if I set the clock by 2 seconds on my NTP server that
>the NTP clients seem to get confused.  First they notice the time jump
>and unsynchronize with the time server.  About 10-20minutes later, they
>resynchronize with the NTP server and all appears well, but if I then
>go and verify the actual time on the NTP server and clients, the
>clients are still showing 2 seconds ahead of the NTP server.
>
>ntpq -p shows a 0 or near 0 (.9 milliseconds) offset between the
>clients and the NTP server during this time.
>
>The clients never recover unless I stop NTP, do an ntpdate, and restart
>NTP.  Is this normal behavior?
>
>FYI, clients are both Tru64 and SunOS versions of xntpd.
>
>Network Time Server - Symmetricom/TrueTime NTS-100 NTP Server
>System OS - Tru64 UNIX 4.0F , SUNOS 5.6
>NTP Version - xntpd 3-5.93e

xntpd 3-5.93e is a truly antique version of ntpd.   It's so old that
even the Smithsonian doesn't want it.

The current version is v4.2.0, soon to be 4.2.1.    You are missing
seven or eight years of fixes and enhancements!

The reference implementation builds nicely on Solaris 8 and 9 and runs
quite well.  You can get a pre built version for Solaris from
sunfreeware.com or blastwave.org.  It should be available for at least
Solaris 7, 8, 9 and 10.  Or you can download the source for the current
version of the reference implementation from
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/SoftwareDownloads