[ntp:questions] Re: NTP for dummies

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Oct 2 17:48:10 UTC 2005

Lee Sailer wrote:
> This will work.  If you want to get a little fancier, add this to the
> ntp.conf file for any host that can access the Internet.
>
> server us.pool.ntp.org
>
> You only have to do this on one host.

You should have at least 3 servers. One is not enough. You should also
have more than one NTP server requesting packets from different sources.

> Another approach is to put
>
> broadcastserver yes
>
> on the Master and
>
> broadcastclient yes
>
> on all the others.  (Note:  check the man page for exact syntax of
> broadcast directives.

This is invalid. At least if you are going to provide advice makes sure
that the advice is correct. There is no such thing as a Master in NTP.
Maybe you were thinking of DNS?

In order to have a broadcast or multicast server you must provide the
broadcast line with a broadcast or multicast IP address. In addition the
configuration won't work as the default for broadcast and multicast is
to require authentication. If you don't want authentication then you
need to understand the risks of doing so and then you need to add a
disable auth to the client.

> Last advice to Dummy 8-) 8-)  In my distribution, there is a
> default /etc/ntp.conf file that has lots and lots of comments.  It was
> a pretty good NTP for Dummies document.  (Should be in the man page,
> but say La Vee ("La Vee" 8-)

That is something distributed by your O/S vendor.

Danny