[ntp:questions] Re: NTP for dummies

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 2 17:41:27 UTC 2005

David J Taylor wrote:

>Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>[]
>

>>Instead ntpd, you might use the sntp client available in the reference
>>implementation or you might use W32time, Microsoft's
>>non-standards-compliant version of sntp.  Any of these three options
>>should keep the software clock within fifty milliseconds or better.
>>

>As far as I can recall, the default W32time only sets the clock once a
>week, so whilst the initial setting may be within 50msec, the keeping will
>almost certainly not be within 50msec.  When I used to use an SNTP client,
>I believe the same was true, as the setting could be hours apart.
>
>David

According to the Brandolini and Green White Paper  I cited, W32Time
tries every 45 minutes until it thinks the clocks are synchronized and
then every eight hours.

If W32Time is not good enough, and it may not be, I did point out the
alternatives.  If it works, W32Time is by far the easiest way to do the
job; the software is installed with Windows 2000 or Windows XP, and the
configuration is easy.

The reference implementation's version of SNTP would require that he
build from source, install, and configure. Pre-built versions of NTP are
available for Windows and could be downloaded, installed, and configured..