[ntp:questions] Re: NTP for dummies

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Oct 3 17:46:12 UTC 2005

At 6:49 AM +0000 2005-10-03, David J Taylor wrote:

>>  Given the problems that Windows seems to have with losing clock
>>  interrupts under load it would not surprise me if ntpd did not work
>>  very much better than W32Time.
>
>  Both Windows and Linux, if incorrectly configured, can have problems with
>  lost interrupts.

	Any OS on Intel x86 hardware can suffer from lost interrupts, if
incorrectly configured.  Some OSes on Intel x86 hardware tend to more
frequently suffer from various problems relating to incorrect
configuration, including lost interrupts.

	Other hardware may or may not have similar problems, but I don't
recall having heard many complaints about them.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755