[ntp:questions] sync immediately

Jarrar Jaffari jarrar at cisco.com
Mon Oct 3 19:35:07 UTC 2005

Hello Ibrahim,

You can do it in few ways. Suppose your client computer is A and Syncs
with The NTP server (ntp.server.com).

1) When you are booting up or installing and ntpd is not running. In
that Cases (though not reliable) I have used

$ ntpdate ntp.server.com

Ntpdate wont work if ntpd daemon is working and using the NTP port.

2) The possibility is what I call "NTP One Shot Sync", you do that with

$ ntpd -q -g
In my experiments I have seen it to take on average about 1~2 mints, you
need to Have /etc/ntp.conf configured for this to work.

"-g" Tells ntpd to ignore > 1000s adjustment check and set it to the
current time As per on the configured servers

"-q" Means once you set the time quit. This makes it almost replacement
of "ntpdate".

Jarrar