[ntp:questions] Re: ntp client over satellite and no CMOS battery

Bob Beers bob.beers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:19:33 UTC 2005

On 10/5/05, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Have you considered installing a battery? Typically, these are lithium
> "coin" cells with a lifetime comparable to that of the computer; i.e.
> three to five years. Virtually all PCs are so equipped and most other
> computers have similar provisions. The batteries themselves cost three
> or four dollars US at your local supermarket.

In hindsight, to chose not to include a battery may have been a poor
decision, but here I am. Also, figuring this out may help someone else
with a remote unit that is difficult to access, to replace a failed battery.

If that's not feasible, how about testing network connectivity with
> "ping" and delay the startup of ntpd until the network is up.

Yes, I'm traveling that route, see my psudo-code solution in another post.
I am not a bash scripting guru, but, that implementation does work. Due
to cron's one minute resolution, it is not as quick as it could be. I need
bash threads. (anyone?) -- (but that is not a problem for ntp proper)

-Bob