[ntp:questions] Re: UK pool server denying access

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 14:34:31 UTC 2005

chris-usenet at roaima.co.uk wrote:

> > I'm not familiar with the limiting feature, but if I read the code aright
> > and if your NNTP-posting-host header is to be believed, you're in 82.x.x.x
> > and this server (ntpd 4.1.2) will only allow 3 active IPs in that "class A"
> > per hour.  That might not be a sensible config for a public server ...
>
> I've removed the limit instruction. I'd appreciate some advice on whether
> that's a "sensible" thing to do, bearing in mind that I'm on a residential
> DSL link (256 Kb uplink).

ntpd 4.2.0 treats "class A" addresses individually rather than aggregating
them within each block, so upgrading to that would change the behaviour.
Or if you have the source of the version you're running, modifying
libntp/netof.c to do the same would be an option.

Can anyone with more understanding of limiting help here?

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for