[ntp:questions] Re: NTP client configuration

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 20:40:10 UTC 2005

Resmi M R wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having some issues in configuring ntp client on a power pc 405
> processor based device which runs Linux .
> It doesn't have RTC support.  We had set up an NTP server in the
> network. The ntp client was configured with a single entry in the
> /etc/ntp.conf
>
> server <server_ip address>
>
> The client was not able to perform time synchronization with the server.
> We were able to perform a time sync with the same server from a
> windows XP machine and another Linux machine.
> The experiment was tried after setting the timet to a value which was
> within 1 minute of the time in the NTP server.
> Still the client was not able to synchronize with the server.
>
> /etc/ntp.conf on server
> ------------------------
>
> server <server_ip address>
> fudge <server_ip address> stratum 1
> server 127.127.1.0
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> broadcastdelay  0.008
> logfile /var/log/ntp.log
>
> Please suggest whether we need to modify the configuration.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Resmi

server <server_ip address>
server 127.127.1.0                   # Serve the local clock if no other
source is available!
fudge 127.127.1.0  stratum 10   # Make sure that no one will use this if
a better (lower
                                               # stratum) server is
available.
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
broadcastdelay  0.008
logfile /var/log/ntp.log

Your server's stratum will be calculated automatically as soon as it
synchronizes with its
server.  If it is not synchronized it should operate at a high stratum;
e.g. 10 so that no one
will use it if any lower stratum server is available.  (If your server
is not synchronized it almost certainly does not have the correct time!)