[ntp:questions] Re: ntp client over satellite and no CMOS battery

Tim tim at mail.localhost.invalid
Thu Oct 6 12:17:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:34:08 +0000, Brian T. Brunner sent:

> missing from the ntpd design(?): some system-readable TimeIsGood flag set
> by ntpd for applications to use where they must have trustable time. alt:
> TimeStateIs flag with values of LOST (no net, no idea what time it is),
> SEEKING (found a source, getting time), and SYNC (time is good) alt:
> SEEKING_n for n ranging 1 to the "minimum acceptable set size" for your
> site; SYNC means the highest minimum has been met.  This allows different
> applications to decide when is the time sufficiently good for that
> application.

Are you saying that the stratum information can't provide you with
adequate information about how much faith to put in your time, or that the
output from ntpstat (three different example results below) isn't machine
parseable in some useful way?

synchronised to local net at stratum 8
   time correct to within 12 ms
   polling server every 64 s

unsynchronised
  time server re-starting
   polling server every 64 s

synchronised to NTP server (83.137.103.134) at stratum 3
   time correct to within 264 ms
   polling server every 64 s

--
If you insist on e-mailing me, use the reply-to address (it's real but
temporary).  But please reply to the group, like you're supposed to.

This message was sent without a virus, please destroy some files yourself.