[ntp:questions] Re: ntp client over satellite and no CMOS battery

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Fri Oct 7 01:14:07 UTC 2005

Brian,

I don't understand your comment. There are two statistics returned by
the ntp_gettime() syscall, maximum error and estimated error. Choose a
threshold for either to define what you will accept; the server can't do
that for you. The maximum error threshold used by ntpd as a client is
one second. The kernel continues to maintain the maximum error statistic
even if the NTP server leaves the building. The time you get from the
kernel is accurate to within the maximum error statistic.

Dave