[ntp:questions] Philosophical question about strata

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Fri Oct 7 14:49:32 UTC 2005

Being a (time) blasphemer and pervert by trade, I answer
your  question with this question: what am I trying to do?

If I want to be a True Chimer of the One True Time, the answer
is probably "cleave to the lowest stratum".

If I'm a dummy who just wants to stay in sync with my group, and
if that group is the stratum 2 machines, I'd cleave to my buddies.

I could (personally) buy a GPS time receiver and install it in my office
on my linux compile server and get time straight from the Mouth of
Almighty Cronus Himself.  My file server is a windows machine
maintained by the company, .:. doing this would break make(1).
I am wiser to stick to my buddies.

(upon the other traffic talking about the various coins used to adjust
the pendulum of Big Ben: don't forget the Peseta, Lira, Francs and
other coins from the tourists).

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838