[ntp:questions] Deadline soon for leap second comments

Chris Steyaert observations at rmob.org
Sun Oct 9 08:37:01 UTC 2005

From:       seaman at noao.edu
Subject:     Deadline soon for leap second comments
Date:     October 7, 2005 10:03:56 AM MST
To:       all-noao-all at noao.edu

Hello,

     Over the summer I forwarded an announcement of a major pending
timekeeping decision of particular interest to astronomers. A very
real proposal has been made by the US representatives to the
International Telecommunications Union to cease issuing leap
seconds.  As a result, Civil Time worldwide would no longer reflect
the orientation of the Earth with respect to the Sun.

     Several individuals from the astronomical community registered
their opinions at that time.  As a result, the US proposal has been
modified - but only to slightly lengthen the implementation period;
the goal of eliminating leap seconds has been reaffirmed.  The new
proposal is described here:

     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/nc1985wp7a.html

The period of public review ends on 14 October.  The link above
provides arguments against the proposal, along with contact
information and other links.  I am unaware of any similar web
resource supporting the proposal.  You may register your opinions on
this proposal with Wayne Hanson of the NIST and Cecily Holiday of the
U.S. Department of State:

     Hanson, D Wayne (Boulder)
     (303) 497-5233
     NIST
     Mailcode 847.00
     325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305-3328
     wayne.hanson at nist.gov

     Ms. Cecily C. Holiday
     (202) 647-0051
     National Committee
     Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs
     2201 C St., NW, Room 2529
     Department of State
     Washington, DC 20520

     I suspect many remain unsure of the details of this esoteric
issue and are perhaps reticent to express an opinion.  Steve Allen of
Lick Observatory provided the link above and I also commend you to
his excellent resource on UTC and leap second issues:

     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs

But more importantly, a key fact regarding this issue is precisely
the rush to reach a decision before all interested parties can be
informed and engaged in the process.  A reply for those who don't
know enough yet to know what they think might resemble:

Dear Dr. Hanson and Ms. Holiday,

         I am writing to register my concern at the inappropriately
rapid pace of the proposed revision to ITU-R TF.460 by USWP-7A.  The
astronomical community has significant scientific, technical and
financial interests in the definition of Coordinated Universal Time
(UTC) and has had only token input into this process.  The current
proposal should be withdrawn from consideration and not resubmitted
until all interested parties, including the astronomical community,
have been actively included in the decision making process.

                                                         Sincerely,
                                                         A. Concerned
Citizen

A followup phone call may be desirable given the short deadline.

     You are also free, of course, to contact the individuals above
if you support the proposal.  In that case, I would be grateful to be
copied on any discussion of your reasons.

Rob Seaman
NOAO Data Products Program, Tucson