[ntp:questions] asyncronous path between "time client" and ntp server

Bob Beers bob.beers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:37:27 UTC 2005

Hello list,

My "time client" and my ntp server are both NAT'd and can only reach each
other via their public IP addresses. They seem to be on different private
192.168.x.y networks.

server inet addr:192.168.0.32 <http://192.168.0.32>
Mask:255.255.255.0<http://255.255.255.0>
client inet addr:192.168.20.14 <http://192.168.20.14>
Mask:255.255.255.240<http://255.255.255.240>

My ntp server gets time info from pool.ntp servers and is looking ~ok to me:

# ntpq -p
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
*gabe.kjsl.com <http://gabe.kjsl.com> 208.184.49.9 <http://208.184.49.9> 2 u
935 1024 377 181.340 5.539 0.125
+ns3.dns.pciwest 132.163.4.103 <http://132.163.4.103> 2 u 1022 1024 377
186.187 3.159 1.155
rrcs-24-172-8-1 .STEP. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 4000.00

When I traceroute between my client and server, I do not see a common public
NAT IP address, so I strongly suspect an asynchronous path between the two.

Before I start posting tcpdump logs and NAT rules, can someone point me to
any relevant ntp.conf settings which I should have already read? I think
I may need something more than a couple of restrict rules.

--
Thanks,

-Bob