[ntp:questions] Re: NTP server with Rubidium PPS

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Tue Oct 11 11:32:43 UTC 2005

"Mauro Fiacco" <Mauro.Fiacco at ipaccess.com> wrote in message
news:20051011104209.GB10986 at ipaccess.com...
[...]
> The only way I seem to be able to obtain synchronisation _and_ PPS is
> to turn on a off my PPS source until the offset is below the critical
> 128ms... Which takes too much time!!!

128ms is the step threshold. If your offset is larger than that, you
are by definition not synchronised, even if you did qualify for the
FLL stage of synchronisation (correct clock _speed_ only, ready to
start getting the top of the second right). I leave the consequences
of that to your imagination.

Try adding the "iburst" option to those higher stratum servers. After
the step that _should_ be forced by being over 128ms out (but your
message was strangely quiet on that subject), an "initial burst" (and
initial only, please) would get you into a synchronised state much
sooner.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink