[ntp:questions] ***SPAM*** Re: Philosophical question about strata

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Oct 14 11:01:48 UTC 2005

At 6:42 AM +0000 2005-10-14, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

>  "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:
>>  I think it makes a lot of sense for stratum one servers to peer with
>>  each other!
>
>  Will that have any effect?

	It should, yes.

>                              Won't each stratum-1 only believe it's own
>  directly attached stratum-0 reference?  Or will a large enough swarm
>  of stratum-1's all with similar times be able to win the selection
>  contest against a failed stratum-0?

	Yes.  Even if there is a Stratum 0 refclock attached, if it's far
enough off from the rest of the servers, then it should get voted off
the island and the system should instead select one of the servers as
its SYSPEER.  It would go from being a Stratum 1 server directly
connected to a refclock to a Stratum 2 server that is directly
connected to a broken refclock (which is being currently ignored).

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755