[ntp:questions] Re: ntp servers reporting leap second erroneously?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Oct 14 14:11:02 UTC 2005

Rex,

Rex Vincere wrote:
> Recently I have noticed that a number of servers (on and off), and
> especially louie.udel.edu (all the time) are reporting a leap second. This
> has been going on for a couple of weeks now.
>
> This is the first time in about the 10 years I have been playing with NTP
> that I have seen a problem like this pop up.
>
> Or is this not a problem but a change to NTP I missed?

There has been a leap second scheduled for the end of this year, i.e. to be
introduced after 2005-12-31 23:59:59 UTC. It's the first leap second after
7 years.

However, if I understand the source code correctly, ntpd should start to
announce the leap second insertion only one day before the time of
insertion, so if the announcement flag has already been set this might be a
bug.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki