[ntp:questions] Re: Philosophical question about strata

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Oct 14 21:28:04 UTC 2005

At 8:52 PM +0000 2005-10-14, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

>>  	If your SYSPEER is a Stratum 2 server that has selected a
>>  particular Stratum 1 server as its SYSPEER, then your Stratum is
>>  3. Period.
>
>  So tell me about the local refclock being stratum 10.  Why not set it
>  to stratum-0 like your explanation implies?

	The local clock (as a refclock) is going to be the least accurate
thing you can sync to, unless you're running a Windows machine
connected to a Meinberg GPS device which has a driver to directly
control the system clock (bypassing NTP), in which case you'll be
following their instructions at
<http://www.meinberg.de/english/info/ntp.htm#cfg_server_win>.

	As such, if you're going to be using the local clock as a
refclock, you should set the stratum value to a sufficiently high
value that you won't select it as the SYSPEER unless there is
absolutely no other option.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755