[ntp:questions] Re: Server/Peers - I really don't understand what's going on

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 21:34:38 UTC 2005

In article <1129309385.338354.279500 at g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"DJ" <drnj at freemail.redherring.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks - Well, real clock is distant (network wise...) some of the
> peers sync to 127.0.0.1 stratum 10 and...they all seem to prefer to

I assume that was a mistake and you meant the local clock driver.

Mixing local clocks and peering is a bad idea because it does allow the system
to delude itself that the outside world is at fault.

If you do mix, you need to ensure that each server has enough external time
sources to outvote all its peers and its own local clock.

Local clocks are very much overused.