[ntp:questions] Re: Philosophical question about strata

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Sat Oct 15 00:17:57 UTC 2005

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

>>I think it makes a lot of sense for stratum one servers to peer with
>>each other!

> Will that have any effect?  Won't each stratum-1 only believe it's own
> directly attached stratum-0 reference?  Or will a large enough swarm
> of stratum-1's all with similar times be able to win the selection
> contest against a failed stratum-0?

You can connect more than one stratum-0 reference to each server,
additionally peer them, additionally connect other (public) servers, and
define the system clock as fallback.

E.g. I have two time servers, each with 3 radio clocks, 5 public
servers, and the system clock as fallback. Usally one of the radio
clocks wins, but short before or during thunderstorms one of the public
servers wins.

In a configuration of 10 servers, each with GPS directly connected, I
would peer them.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer