[ntp:questions] Re: ntp servers reporting leap second erroneously?

Steve Allen steveaztec at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 16:38:57 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> I have no idea how you arrived at a prediction when multiple steps in
> one year would be required. With great relief it seems the IERS UT1
> curve shows that the UTC offset from TAI continues to increase, although
> slowly. My fear is that it might decrease, eventually causing a delete
> second event, which is not possible in NIST radio timecode formats.

My extrapolations of earth rotation are in plots and tables at
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/dutc.html

Despite the best efforts of the earth's core, the values of LOD
remain longer than 86400 SI seconds of TT, so we are safe so far.

If I am not mistaken Tom van Baak has pointed out that it is possible
to infer a negative leap second because of the DUT1 values.