[ntp:questions] Re: ntp servers reporting leap second erroneously?

Greg Hennessy greg.hennessy at tantalus.no-ip.org
Sat Oct 15 18:25:36 UTC 2005

On 2005-10-15, David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:
> See the comments in the leap-seconds file via ftp from time.nist.gov.
> Currently, steps are provisionally implemented in NIST and NTP only on
> 30 June or 31 December. Your argument is with not me or World Standards
> Day; it is with NIST.

The file leap-seconds.3331497600 contains the text

#       In the unlikely event that a leap second is announced with an
#       effective date other than 30 June or 31 December, then this
#       file will be edited to include that leap second as soon as it is
#       announced or at least one month before the effective date
#       (whichever is later).

which means that NIST is aware that leap seconds can occur on days
other than 30 Jun or 31 Dec.

I submit it is a bug if NTP can only add leap seconds on 30 Jun or 31
Dec.