[ntp:questions] Re: ntp servers reporting leap second erroneously?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Oct 17 17:31:50 UTC 2005

Dave,

David L. Mills wrote:
> Martin,
>
> No fair on the bug, which has been there probably most of the seven
> years since the last leap.
>
> Can you tell your radio to step UTC at the same time the system kernel
> implements it after being so advised by ntpd?

Yes. The device is not really a radio clock but it behaves like one.

It starts to count time at a predefined date, then announces the leap second
before it occurs, and inserts the leap second correctly.

> I think you misunderstand how the kernel implements the leap. The ntpd
> does not implement the leap; the kernel does. The kernel does not step
> the clock. Please see the white paper "The NTP Timescale and Leap
> Seconds" on the NTP project page for a detailed explanation.

I haven't looked at the project pages right now, but as far as I remenber
ntpd passes the leap second announcement to the kernel (if the kernel
supports it, unlike e.g. Windows), and the kernel inserts the leap second
at the right time.

This is how it has worked 5 days ago but didn't work now with the latest
patches.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki