[ntp:questions] Re: GPS Truetime NTP server and offset/jitter peak

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Oct 18 19:12:05 UTC 2005

Ralf Gross wrote:

> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> We've read here about at least one other type of GPS receiver which was
>> going to insert the leap second at the end of September instead of the
>> end of December.
>>
>> Do you have the possibility to log the GPS serial output across UTC
>> midnight in order to verify that?
>
> As additional info...
>
> I just stopped the ntpd and used minicom to get some config values of the
> Truetime GPS device.
>
> It shows that the next leap second will occur on 12/31/2005 (exact output
> on serial console "12/31/2005 1 13". Daylight saving is off. Timezone is
> +00:00.

That looks good.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that GPS device, but just to be sure:
Since you write you have additional time servers available, maybe you can
stop this one and just log the serial output of the GPS receiver over
night.

I don't know whether the receiver can output a leap second announcement in
its time string. But if it can, it could be helpful to know whether it
already does the announcement or not.

Also the lines of your ntp.conf file which are related to the GPS receiver
might give any clues.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki