[ntp:questions] Re: NTP problem : *Not Synchronized*

Hauke Lampe packbart at blagga.openchaos.org
Thu Oct 20 11:19:58 UTC 2005

Raghu M wrote:

> My system was behind firewall and
> appropriate care was taken for the access.

Did you also allow access in ntp.conf?
If your "restrict default" line denies access, you must add restrict lines
for each server, ie:

restrict (ntpserver1-ip) noquery nomodify notrap ntpport

Your server looks like it cannot access any of its configured timeservers.
Do you have messages in other logs? When ntp ist blocked by firewalls, it
often logs "recfrom(<ip>): Connection refused" messages in syslog or ntp's
logfile unless the packetfilter silently drops packets instead of rejecting
them politely.

> I am not able to understand why that reach column is zero and also the
> condition column as reject.

Well, your server never got any response from its peers, so the
reach column is zero and the peers are excluded (=rejected) from
calculations.

HTH,
Hauke.