[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 14:36:39 UTC 2005

brett.sander at tenix.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We have 2 ES40 Alpha servers running Tru64 Unix and they are configured
>as peers using their local clocks.  We configred them this way for
>redundacny, so that if one died the network would still have a time
>server.
>
>The ntp.conf files are configured as such:
>
>terrance's ntp.conf:
>
>peer phillip
>peer 127.127.1.1
>
>phillip's ntp.conf:
>
>peer terrance
>peer 127.127.1.1
>
>Currently they have been up and running for about 14 months and the
>clocks are now about 30 minutes slow.
>
>Any ideas how I can better configure these 2 servers to keep the clocks
>no time.  Also, whats the best method to update the time (I was just
>going to use date to set the time)
>
>Another thing is these servers have no access to the internet at all.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Brett.

If you want those machines to keep the correct time, you will have to
supply correct time from an external source.   Most people use servers
from the internet.   Since you do not have an internet connection
available, you can either use a dial-up phone connection to NIST in
Boulder Colorado or in Gaithersburg Maryland (long distance charges will
probably make this impractical; even three or four calls per day will
add up quickly) or you can purchase a low cost GPS timing receiver.
($80 -- $200 US).   If Digital did not build ntpd with support for
hardware reference clocks, you will need to get a copy of the reference
implementation and build it yourself.   Plug the GPS receiver into a
serial port, configure it, and those two systems should stay within a
few microseconds of UTC.  You will need to be able to site an antenna
where it will have an unobstructed view of the sky.