[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Oct 21 11:24:56 UTC 2005

At 6:14 PM -0700 2005-10-20, brett.sander at tenix.com wrote:

>  The clocks on the 2 servers (as far as I can tell) are running at the
>  same time.  I will have to take a look into the orphan mode. If the
>  clock of my alpha box that I designate as the server is not great at
>  keeping time though, doesn't that mean my whole network will be out as
>  it is now?

	Alphas usually keep very good time.  Of all the hardware
architectures I know of, they have tended to be the best
time-keepers.  I wouldn't worry too much about them getting too far
off too quickly, but obviously you should keep an eye on them.

>  Some more information:  I am running xntpd and according to the man
>  pages "The xntpd daemon is a complete implementation of the Network
>  Time Protocol (NTP) version 3 standard as defined by RFC 1305".  We
>  also have a number of Windows 2000 servers that are clients and are
>  configured using "net time /setsntp:time-server" where time-server is
>  an aliase to one of the alpha machines.

	Note that "orphan mode" is only available in the latest ntp-dev
code.  It is not available in xntpd, nor in the screwed-up Microsoft
implementation of SNTP.  You'll have to get the latest ntp-dev code
running on all your platforms.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755