[ntp:questions] Re: time reset, syncronisation lost and Large PPM values

simbulu at gmail.com simbulu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 23:23:58 UTC 2005

Thank you Tom for the guidance on how to restart ntpd in a proper way.
I did that and will return my findings later (monday, say). Thanks for
the suggestion of hardware problems - that got me gooing to new
grounds.

I now have a feeling that this is a hardware problem related to SMI
rather than APIC  (I always do whatever I can to remove any power
management on any server), as reported by Pascal Blondé on Jun 4 2004:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.time.ntp/msg/00fe52bb908f6ed0

The saying (seemingly from Dell) is :
"The PE2600 design inherently requires the BIOS generates an SMI
(Systems Management Interrupt) ever 62ms. Since servers are not
typically used for real-time applications,  customer impact should be
low."

ntpd seems to be regarded as a real-time application, and real-time
applications seems to be regarded as untypical on servers. In my world
ntpd is mandatory on any server.

A google search for "poweredge 2600 ntpd smi" shows articles describing
just what I see.  My boxes also use hyperthreading and SMP (2 x Xeon
2.8Ghz).

So now I would very much like to verify that the SMI thing really is
the beast that kills my usage of ntpd. Does anyone have any idea of how
this could be done ?