[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

Tom Smith smith at cag.zko.hp.com
Sun Oct 23 03:20:37 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> Brett,
>
> The comments you show in the log do not occur in the version that leaves
> here, so your code has been modified. Rather more intersting is the
> verison claimed in the log is NTPv4 (ntpd), not NTPv3 (xntpd).
>
> I don't know what your intention is with the log trace, which is not a
> good measure of perforance. See the documentation on ntpq in the
> distribution.
>
> There are no man pages in the distribution. I don't know where you are
> findng them. The official documentation from me is in html.
>
> Dave

Dave,

Perhaps the log messages you can't find are the messages that originate
with the kernel regarding the state of the kernel PLL? The rest
all seem to be in the currently released source.

Every commercial OS distribution I know of that includes NTP calls
it "xntpd" to provide upwards compatibility for end-user scripts,
etc. Linux is the only UNIX-like distribution I am familiar with that
provides "ntpd", and, even so, some distributions still provide at least
a link to "xntpd". This is all regardless of version. The SUSE Linux RPM
for ntp, for example, is named "xntp-4.2.0a...".

man pages are usually, if not always, provided as transcripts of the
HTML-only documentation to fit into the conventional UNIX documentation
scheme that users are familiar with. I know these exist on Tru64,
HP-UX, Solaris, and Linux, but I'm sure a Google search for xntpd(1)
would find a lot more of them.

-Tom