[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Oct 23 11:49:28 UTC 2005

At 3:20 AM +0000 2005-10-23, Tom Smith wrote:

>  Every commercial OS distribution I know of that includes NTP calls
>  it "xntpd" to provide upwards compatibility for end-user scripts,
>  etc.

	By definition, xntpd is the old NTPv3 stuff.  Any OS that calls
code based on the NTPv4 spec "xntpd" is doing its users a grave
disservice.

>        Linux is the only UNIX-like distribution I am familiar with that
>  provides "ntpd", and, even so, some distributions still provide at least
>  a link to "xntpd".

	Try FreeBSD or NetBSD.  For that matter, try MacOS X.  They all
call it "ntpd", not "xntpd".

>  man pages are usually, if not always, provided as transcripts of the
>  HTML-only documentation to fit into the conventional UNIX documentation
>  scheme that users are familiar with.

	In some cases they are.  The FreeBSD man pages are very close to
the current HTML documentation.  In other cases, the man pages have
diverged greatly from the current HTML documentation, because they
were forked years ago and the people who were responsible for
maintaining them either haven't done their job, or have made all
sorts of continued modifications to their forked code base.

>                                        I know these exist on Tru64,
>  HP-UX, Solaris, and Linux, but I'm sure a Google search for xntpd(1)
>  would find a lot more of them.

	The man pages are not the official documentation, period.  No
amount of Googling will turn them into the official documentation.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755