[ntp:questions] Re: ntp servers reporting leap second erroneously?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Oct 23 13:34:21 UTC 2005

TOm,

There is no provision in the NIST WWV/H/B timecode for a leap deletion
nor is ther provision in the hardware timecode generators for that. The
DUT1 is a signed adjustment to the current UTC to produce UTC1. The
adjustment changes sign after a leap second to reflect the current
offset of UTC1 from UTC. The DUT1 sign has nothing to do with the
insertion/deletion of the leap.

Dave