[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sun Oct 23 13:54:14 UTC 2005

Tom,

NTPv3 (xntpd) is not supported by me or the Corps. Whether xntpd or
NTPv4 (ntpd) is supported in Linux has nothing to do with me or the
Corps, but the only version we support is ntpd. If you need help with
xntpd or Linux, others on this list may be able to help.

So far as I know, ntpd is now distributed with Linux and FreeBSD, but it
is true that some others, Solaris among them, distribute xntpd.
Nevertheless, while you call it xntpd, your running version is ntpd.

Note the prefix of your log messages. It is not possible for the kernel
to simulate that. I conclude the source has been changed. I have no
problem at all with that, but the only way I can be completely confident
with help is with the unabridged version that leaves here.

The stance on man pages is strictly purposeful and with uncompromising
agenda. Man pages are not produced by me; the only "official"
documentation produced by me is in html. The html documentation does
change from time to time with varying degrees of fidelity and timeliness
when morphed to man pages. I do not do that and have recommended against
that. The only version I stand by, warts typos and whatever, is in html.
The online documentation relates to the current snapshot; the
distribution documentation relates to that specific distribution. Which
distribution your man pages apply to is a matter of wild speculation.

Dave