[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

Tom Smith smith at cag.zko.hp.com
Sun Oct 23 14:58:18 UTC 2005

David L. Mills wrote:
> Note the prefix of your log messages. It is not possible for the kernel
> to simulate that. I conclude the source has been changed. I have no
> problem at all with that, but the only way I can be completely confident
> with help is with the unabridged version that leaves here.

Dave,

The prefix on log messages comes strictly from the name of the executable
(and its PID), not from the bits within it. It is used to show the source
of the message. The version is shown in the log at the time (x)ntpd starts:

20 Jul 17:40:44 xntpd[764]: ntpd 4.0.98a Wed Oct 16 17:36:24 EDT 2002

To the best of my knowledge, all versions of (x)ntpd announce their actual
versions in this way.

None of this has anything to do with the original question, of course,
which was, essentially, "Why do my clocks that have no fixed reference
not keep accurate time?".

-Tom