[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

Tom Smith smith at cag.zko.hp.com
Sun Oct 23 17:27:45 UTC 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:05 AM -0400 2005-10-23, Tom Smith wrote:
>
>>  ntpd V4.2.0 built from source and started via a link named "xntpd":
>
> [opinion omitted]
>
>     Moreover, since the logged lines in question do not come from our
> source code, they either have to come from the kernel, or they have to
> come from a version of our code which has been modified.

Brad, perhaps you are not familiar with the format of system logs and/or
did not understand the point.

20 Jul 17:40:44 xntpd[764]: ntpd 4.0.98a Wed Oct 16 17:36:24 EDT 2002

Oct 23 00:34:02 seeaxp xntpd[56499]: ntpd 4.2.0 at 1.1161-r Tue Feb  8 16:04:28 EST 2005 (1)

The portion of the message up to and including the PID and the colon
following it is from syslogd. It identifies the time and the source of the
message - the name of the executable (or the name of the link to it that
was used) and the PID of the instance responsible for the message.

The portion of the log entry after that is the actual message that issued
by the application. Note that in both cases above, the version message issued
by the application identifies itself as "ntpd", as you would like, and identifies
its specific version. The second example above, shown to emphasize the point,
is from the released V4.2.0 downloaded from the project site, built from source,
installed as /usr/local/bin/ntpd, and started via a symbolic link to it named "xntpd".
There has been NO modification to the code, and the messages, as well as all
of the others shown, DO come from "your" source code. Had it instead been started
via a link named "thingamabob", the syslogd part of the message would show
"thingamabob" instead of "xntpd", the application part of the message would be
unchanged, and it would still be an unmodified instance of ntpd running.

The matter of what to call the executable, which is irrelevant to the function
of this application, is best left to the judgment of users who may have other
dependencies, such as pre-exisiting scripts and procedures, that actually care
about things like that.