[ntp:questions] Re: Correcting my time servers clock drift on Alpha ES40s / Tru64

brett.sander at tenix.com brett.sander at tenix.com
Tue Oct 25 02:08:40 UTC 2005

Tom Smith wrote:

> In any case, the local clock should be declared as a "server" and not a "peer".

Thanks for all the replies so far all.  I spoke to my senior engineer
and asked why we had the current configuration.  He said that he wanted
the servers to stay in sync and acknowledged that the time would float
(his main point was to keep them in sync).  Our network/server/system
configuration is built to provide redundancy as much as possible.

According to the man pages peer has the following description:

"This command specifies that the local server is to operate in
"symmetric active" mode with the remote server host_address.  In this
mode,the local server can be synchronized to the remote server and, in
addition, the remote server can be synchronized by the local server.
This is useful in a network of servers where, depending on various
failure scenarios, either the local or remote server host may be the
better source of time"

To my understanding, with our current setup, when terrance starts xntpd
it checks its peers for their times.  Then it changes its time to match
it (please correct me if I am wrong). Does it check both peers?(in our
current setup with both phillip and 127.127.1.1 as peers)

In the setup below, when terrance starts xntpd, it checks the server
(its local clock) and then changes its time to meet it (I assume).
Does it then check phillip's time? What does it do if phillips time is
different?

Terrance:

peer phillip
server 127.127.1.1