[ntp:questions] Re: ntp servers reporting leap second erroneously?

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Tue Oct 25 09:14:18 UTC 2005

Martin Burnicki wrote:

> Under Linux, the leap second announcement is passed to the kernel which
> handles it properly.
>
> Under Windows, the time is stepped back by one second a few minutes after
> the time of leap second insertion.

If nobody else volunteers I'll take a look at the Win source code and
see if I can figure out a reasonably good way to insert/delete a second
by an extra clock slew that avoids resetting the clock drift value.

> Of course the latter is not optimal and I'd appreciate if ntpd could do the
> slewing of the system clock on systems where the kernel clock is not aware
> of leap seconds.
>
> As I've reported earlier on this news group even the Windows w32time service
> is capable to slew the Windows system clock at UTC midnight to compensate
> the leap second offset in just a few seconds.

Which is why I'm willing to dig in. :-)

"Anything Microsoft can do, we can do better."

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>